Wednesday, September 4, 2013

Not Even Willing To Be Willing

It was certain to happen at some point. Most money had me abandoning way before thirty-one posts.  My wager was around the area of fifteen. Ha! Ha! Kevin started a blog! Let's see how long this thing lasts? Wager anyone?

Initially, I got a little ego boost out of this little experiment. Then, I thought the whole world was reading! That misconception was short-lived. I got humbled by the realization that all those international "page-views" were just "Bots" that creep around the information highway pinging any and everything out there. That little dose of reality kind of set me back, but it does does give me pause for a GIGGLE when I read other Blogs and these nit-wits are giving shout-outs to their "peeps in Malaysia!" Finally, the thing kind of became a deadline! I'm not a journalist, for crying out loud! Are some of you really texting me on Sunday night wanting to know if Monday's post is going to happen?

Then, it happened. I hit the proverbial "WALL." It wasn't for a lack of topics. There is still so much I need to TEACH you people. And trust me, there is so little time! But somewhere in the midst of this insanity, the willingness just disappeared.  How many reasons (excuses) can I suggest?

1)  It's really HOT outside! As I get older, this Texas heats beats me down!

2)  Once it became a deadline, the FUN kind of went away!

3)  Do you realize how many really, really BAD Blogs are out there? In reading some of these absolute "meadow muffins", doubt starts to creep in. Am I in denial? Is my stuff just as bad?

4)  The PB&J submission had been in the works for weeks. I truly feel this was my "high-water" mark and I will never be able to match that.

5) One of my readers (and a person of "note" in my posts) started his own blog. It is rude, crude, irreverent, and SHAMELESS.....I am so jealous! It's all the things I wanted my blog to be and I've lost my way trying to "people-please!"

The bottom line is this-----the willingness has left the building!

Willingness is an interesting proposition. "Willing to pay the price." "Willing to pay your dues." "Willing to go to any length." "Where there's a way, there's a will." VOMIT!

On most days, the very best I can do is to be willing to do the "next right thing in front of me." On some days, that simple task seems insurmountable. It's days like those that my prayer life consists of authentic requests to "be made willing to be willing."

John "The Penguin" Bingham is one of the most recognizable authors among runners. I am reminded of the Penguin credo:

"For all of us, the miracle isn't that we finish, the miracle is that we have the courage to start."






2 comments :

Anonymous said...

We are all miracles!!

Unknown said...

Hahaha! Well at least you are acknowledging your lack of enthusiasm to the 'very few local readers' you do have. I just disappeared for a while and hope a few readers will return when I do!
Although I'm sure that we blogger people don't make a huge affect on the world, it may be bigger than you think.
You are a good writer, hilarious and definitely make people think. I hope you will keep it up.
Suzette