Monday, August 26, 2013

Anybody Want a PB&J?

Well, it's the first day of school here in the thriving metropolis of Lewisville! At my house, the first day of school looks entirely different than it has for many, many years. Today is the first time in a long time, that I don't have a student in my house that's grumpily rolling out of bed, anticipating (dreading) what the first day of school holds in store.

It's kind of quiet around here.

This is probably going to take some getting used to. My kids started school when they were two years old. Their mother is a Montessori Teacher and she loaded them into the car on several first days of school. We were truly blessed that, in their early years, the kids just went to school with Mom. And that was good for Teresa, too. She didn't have to dread the first day of kindergarten and the first day of 1st Grade. She had her kids with her.  It sure made things easier for Teresa, which in turn, made things easier for me.

For the past couple of years, Teresa has been leaving the house early and that has left me with the surly teenage girl who stayed up way too late and really wasn't much of a conversationalist in the morning. Those of you who know me, know that I never gave up. It was actually kind of fun trying to engage her in banter in the early morning!

Jentry was never late. She got herself out of bed. She managed to be ready to leave on time.....usually with very kind neighbors who provided rides for years. But, she certainly didn't make time to prepare her lunch and she decidedly was not going to eat from the school cafeteria. So, that left lunch responsibilities with dear old Dad.

Peanut Butter and Jelly! Day after day, week after week. I suppose I should have and could have done better. Oh, I tricked up the "sides" on occasion. We experimented with Pop Tarts, Granola Bars, cookies, and every kind of chip ever produced. When times were good, I would throw some pistachios in. But, for the most part, I found lunch preparation to be a beating.....a real pain....a true inconvenience to have to pack this non-communicative teenager's lunch every morning of the week.

This morning, she's 686 Miles AWAY from here. She's actually starting her second week of school. Today, she will have lunch in the school cafeteria. And it is one "high-tone" cafeteria. There are three different water coolers alone.....each with a different kind of FRUIT floating in it. There's a Sundae Bar, for crying out loud! At least six flavors of ice cream and ALL the toppings. The dessert table is ridiculous! There are burgers, chicken strips, pizza, and even real food! Today, she will have dozens of choices for lunch. And if none of that sounds good, she can go downstairs in the Student Center and enjoy the fare from a number of Fast Food places on Campus. Good grief! But one thing is for sure. She will not have to eat a peanut butter and jelly sandwich that her Dad grudgingly prepared.

It's kind of quiet around here. And on this first day of school, I'm thinking about my kids and wondering how the time flew by so quickly.

Did I mention that this Empty Nest thing is probably going take some getting used to?  My kids will never understand what this feels like until they one day experience it for themselves. They truly have no idea! Tucker's been gone for over 18 months and he would never believe how many times I think of him during the day. Jentry's gone for the first time and it's only been a couple of weeks. She cannot fathom how hard it was for me to drive away from that campus....while at the same time being so excited and happy for her! Neither of them will ever fully comprehend the love of a parent until they leave one of their own kids in another place, hundreds of miles away. We've now done it twice. And, trust me, it wasn't any easier the second time.

I only wish the best for all kids and their parents on this First Day of School! But today, I'm thinking mostly about my two kids, and what they might have for lunch... as I sit here in the quiet....finishing this peanut butter and jelly sandwich.








1 comment :

Unknown said...

That was beautifully stated. I am like Larry King (having kids later in life), and realize that my high school freshman will be in college in the blink of an eye, It seemed like it was a couple of years ago that I sat in your living room with him as a toddler. Just keep spreading those peanut butter sandwiches and running a little extra to avoid that middle-age spread.