Monday, September 16, 2013

The World Could Use A Few More Glossophobics!

Google has been running an Ad recently about a little kid that utilizes his Google 7" Tablet to research and overcome his glossophobia. I don't think any real dictionary defines the word "glossophobia." I had certainly never heard of it. And I fancy myself a true sesquipedalian! But apparently "glossophobia" is simply the fear of public speaking.

Some studies suggest that as much as 75% of the inhabitants of the Planet struggle with glossophobia.  I am  extremely saddened by the fact that this estimate is not closer to 95%!

In my observation, about 5% of the population does not struggle with glossophobia and they shouldn't. They actually have some talent. Then, there's another 20%,  who do not have the fear of public speaking. But they absolutely have NO talent that would justify their desire to up in front of people.

I suppose this apparent lack of glossophobia further advances Al the Barber's and Shoe's notion that the biggest problem facing mankind is a total lack of self-awareness. (Editorial Note: Shoe has started his own blog that is devoted entirely to self-awareness. I'm just not ready to endorse it yet, for fear of being struck by lightning---it's decidedly not a G-Rated Blog).

This lack of glossophobia is no where more apparent than on the religious radio broadcasts and behind some of the pulpits of big time churches here in the Metroplex. I shan't name their names. But I am embarrassed for them! These men must stand before ignorant sheeple every Sunday and for whatever reason actually believe these folks when they say "Good Job" as they rush out the door and head to the cafeteria. As a matter of fact, the delusion goes much broader as they actually raise big time money to broadcast their Speech 101 failures on the radio! What a tremendous example of poor stewardship of God's money!

There is no way to estimate how many sermons I've heard in my life. I do know this as a certainty. I can remember absolutely NONE of them!

But, I will never forget JR, a sweet little old lady who never left her house without a freshly baked pie to deliver to a shut-in. I have vivid memories of coming home late (our house sat adjacent to the church building) and DS being up under the church bus doing repairs at 1:00 in the morning. I cannot number how many hand-written notes of encouragement I received from AD during my high school days.

I know without a shadow of doubt that these three people were intensely glossophobic! But man oh man, could they ever preach!










No comments :