Monday, September 23, 2013

Not My Hill To Die On!

I can't get this topic out of my mind. The problem is that I can absolutely give NO specific examples  to clarify what I'm talking about. Within the past few weeks, I've encountered some examples of people who are hell-bent on Majoring on the Minors and it's making me insane!

There is a reason I cannot cite the examples. Most of my readers would think they were COMPLETELY fictitious. There are a few of you who would believe them.  You are members of the same faith tradition as me. The rest of you would conclude that I've jumped into the realm of fiction just to have something to harp on.

I SO wish this was the case! There are no words. Stupid, asinine, ridiculous....No! These words do not even begin to describe some people that have STRONG convictions about the most INSIGNIFICANT issues that one could ever imagine!

We often call it "majoring on the minors." And, oh the stories I could tell! I shan't tell them because they completely brain damage me. And I would rather stop that with me instead of dumping that onto you.

I stole a phrase from a preacher a few years ago. I am shocked at my honest admission of that. Even a casual reader of Cheaper Than Therapy can see what low regard I hold for these guys. Anyway, in explaining a fairly narrow-minded OPINION, this older gentleman acknowledged, "That's the way I would prefer it to be. But that's not my hill to die on."

I found this remark to show both self-awareness and wisdom. And I now take a certain amount of pride when my daughter, Jentry, says "Dad, you always say that!"

As I get older, I strive more and more to major on the majors. It actually gets easier with time. It really does. It gets easier just from observing what's going on around me. The battles some of you choose. The "lines in the sand" some you draw. I just wish you could get a view from the outside and see how MORONIC you really look.

The Carpenter made very clear the NUMBER 1 and NUMBER 2 Commands. Love God. Love your neighbor.

So, I will let you decide what number 3 is. No matter what you come up with......at its highest rank.....it can only be number 3.

And for those of you who choose to major on the minors and "die on that hill," trust me, it's not that your minor is 1,894th on the list. It's NOT on the list at all.






No comments :