Monday, September 18, 2017

These Labels are Destroying Us

I was labeled a Snowflake last night! Can you believe it? A Snowflake! It kind of threw me for a loop. All I did was post a tweet about the Emmys and why I would not be tuning in. Soon after, some genius in Fort Worth (I know...Cowtown!) commented something to the effect that  "you should just sit in your safe space, with your TV turned off, you Snowflake!"

Dozens of tweets later, we both angrily blocked each other, and I just sat in amazement that I had allowed myself to get caught up in such nonsense. I speak, almost daily of my intolerance for idiots and how they rob me of my serenity. But there I sat....an idiot!

So, to rebuild my damaged self-esteem, I went to bed an listened to a speech on The Youtube by a conservative commentator that was recently given at Berkeley. I was grasping at anything!

I've spent most of the day thinking about labels. They have woven themselves into the thread of our very existence. I'm not sure anyone has a firm grasp on the true meaning of even one of them. But the labels exist. They are seemingly infinite. They are often misunderstood. They are seldom defined. But they are mandatory! Everyone must choose their label and proudly display it!

Of course, if someone recognizes your label and calls you on it.....FULL FLEDGED DENIAL ensues! One of my favorite dudes on the planet is a left leaning liberal.  I made the mistake of calling him that one time and he went into a complete defense posture, denying it! It cracked me up.

But we continue to call each other names and hand out labels. The divide only continues to grow. Democrats are no longer liberal. They are leftists. Republicans are no longer conservative. They are Alt. Right. Interestingly, both sides claim to be moderately "in the middle." Yet, the best word they can think of to label the other is Fascist! Are both sides fascists? Is neither side fascist? Does anyone really know what fascism means?

I know I've been and probably continue to be part of the problem. In college, Camino and I would sit in the Student Center for hours with our chairs side by side, leaning against the wall. With EVERY person that walked by, we would slowly turn our heads toward each other and say, "Idiot." Super Coop and I would sometimes go for hours in our apartment just yelling "STUPID" at each other! I wish I was making this up. No other words. He would look at me and yell "STUPID!" and I would quickly respond with "STUPID!"

The movie Idiocracy has turned out to be prophetic. The best we can do is yell names and labels at each other. It is simply all just plain Idiocracy.

I'm not a fascist. You're a fascist. I'm not a leftist. You're a Nazi.

I AM NOT A SNOWFLAKE! YOU ARE A SNOWFLAKE!










No comments :