Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Giving God a Bum Rap

It's been awhile. The last time I was drawn to contribute to CTT, it turned out to be a disaster! I typed it up. Edited it. Was prepared to post. Then, POOF! It was gone! The platform indicated that the piece was "saving" throughout the process. But it was gone. No where to be found. A google search indicated that this phenomenon had only happened in about 172 million other instances, so I just wrote it off as getting what I pay for from a free platform.

I think about CTT occasionally. Usually its when I'm wallowing in depression, self-pity oozing from every pore. That's certainly the case this morning. So, why not? I wore my "I Don't Even Like the People I Like T-Shirt" Sunday and got a tremendous response. So, naturally, the thought occurred to me this morning to put some thoughts down and blast them into the world wide inter-web and get them off my chest. No doubt to offend a few of you. Get over it. Grow some thicker skin!

I'm treading on dangerous ground because, as you remember, Stainless told me years ago that "the biggest difference between me and God is that God never wakes up in the morning thinking He's me!" The very nature of this piece supposes that I know what God must be thinking or am at least convinced that God is being besmirched. Neither of these are probably true. But there's nothing like a "Force Majeure" or a couple of them in a short span to get the juices flowing!

I'm not going to address the existence of God. I've never really met an atheist. Oh, I know a few folks who claim to be atheist. Bless their hearts. If they would only use that dusty Library card in their sock drawer, that could so easily be changed. So, the premise of the piece assumes that God exists. That He exists and man oh man, look at how His name is getting run through the mud.

The "Force Majeure" or "Act of God" is how these natural disasters are described by the legal types in contracts, insurance policies, and the like. Folks who don't recognize God, believe in God, acknowledge God, or want anything to do with Him decided to call these horrible weather events "Acts of God." I find that almost laughable, while at the same time very sad.

Now, with that as a basis, let's look at the oh so delicious next step! All weekend, we just heard Mayors, Police Chiefs, Governors, Vice Presidents, and Presidents call on everyone to PRAY! No, you cant make this up. We are supposed to pray to the God that created this thing in the FIRST place!

But WAIT!, There's more! This is more exciting than an infomercial! Evidently, God answered those prayers and the forecast damage from the latest storm dropped to $50 Billion from $200 Billion and I have not heard ONE person give God any credit. As a matter of fact, the only credit I've seen was assigned to the "Bermuda High." I don't recall any Mayors, Police Chiefs, Governors, Vice Presidents, or Presidents asking us to kneel in prayer to the Bermuda High!

It is just SO exhausting! Blame it on Him. Asked Him to intervene and change it. Then, when He does,  completely deny that He had anything to do with it!

So, all I have are two words, QUIT IT!











No comments :