Friday, August 2, 2013

Premeditated Is A Bad Word! Right?

A conversation with a long-time friend this morning planted a thought in my head and it's going to drive me batty until I get something down in here. Why else would I be typing this post when all I want to do is lie under a ceiling fan and try not to move?

This dude (a clever, anonymous nickname escapes me) had participated in a program earlier in the summer and was expressing some frustrations in dealing with these folks. Said "program" shall go unnamed as I am acquainted with its Director and I know dozens of people who have experience with it.

Here was his bottom line.....He said, "Kevin, the whole process had no INTENTIONALITY."

It had no what? Evidently, it had no intentionality. From the top of the organization all the way down to volunteers who willingly give up their time, money, and talents....they have no idea of what their intended purpose truly is.

Other than summing up the first 48 years of my life, this idea of intentionality has been bouncing off the walls of my scary brain all day long. As a matter of fact, I found it necessary to call three more people and get their responses as to what being intentional looks like. I would share what they said. But that would mean I actually listened to them. Why would I take note? Readers of this Blog are fully aware that I'm much better with the problem than I am the solution.

I do, however, think the question is worthy of consideration. Where in this post-modern Age, do we see or experience any real intentionality?

Education? Maybe. But there's an awful lot of talk about Educators at the primary and secondary level "teaching to a test" that says the child is "smart" and that the school deserves to be Exemplary instead of just Recognized.

Sports? Maybe. On some levels. But in Youth Sorts the intention is certainly not to WIN. We are all well aware that even the winless teams get a big trophy and get huge praise for simply participating.

Work? Maybe. But anyone with Supervisory experience will tell you that they are hiring these same kids who have always been rewarded for participating and often quit jobs when they do not receive raises and promotions based on their 100% attendance record.

Church? Maybe. But once again, that 100% attendance record comes into play. Real intention is seldom defined or seen.

Politics? Not even worthy of a Maybe!

Oil Can (not sure I've ever mentioned him) says that he prefers the word "premeditated" instead of intentional. He's big on Purpose and Premeditation in utilizing tools to accomplish goals with an intentional strategy. He once tried to drive a nail into a piece of wood with an IPhone to prove his point. The intended result was to get the nail into the wood. The lack of premeditation caused him to employ a tool that was not designed for that purpose. That's a $499 mistake...depending on the billing plan!

I'm trying to remember that last time I was INTENTIONAL. I think I know. But, I've avoided Marathon talk for 27 Posts now. I shan't bore you with it now.

Stay tuned. Purpose and Intentionality are certainly going to get some more play in here.






1 comment :

Unknown said...

Oil Can hit the nail on the head - so to speak.

This is some insight just for you, Kevin.

Every great athlete has a "mean" streak. Every great race horse has a "mean" streak.

Paul and Peter had MAJOR anger management issues. They had "mean" streaks.

Stainless has a "mean" streak. I have a "mean" streak. Do you?

Oh! Willie Shoemaker (sp?) once said, "The only race that matters is the one you are running in right now."