Monday, January 26, 2015

Mindfulness......So Trendy!

In my defense, I tried it two years ago. Back then, one might encounter the word "mindfulness" once or twice a month. Twenty-four months ago, I did not know mindfulness was a word. I was just trying to meditate because some old hippie from California challenged me, in a presentation Shoe and I heard him give, to give it a shot.

But now, mindfulness is the new buzz word. It's SO trendy, SO now. Even the cool kids are doing it. Celebrities, executives in Fortune 100 companies and yes, even the hippies......Everyone is talking about mindfulness. And the noise that's being created about taking a little "quiet time" is deafening.

So, the question that I must answer is "Am I gonna let the trendy part drive me away?" I don't like celebrities. Even my little former Tibetan Monk who's guiding me is a celebrity now! The Corporate Guys are just trying to work an angle to make a buck, and the hippies? God love 'em! In reality, the labels don't matter. I don't like any of them. I have a T-shirt on order. "I Don't Even Like the People I Like!" Yet, they are ALL being mindful now in 2015. And I have to fight 'em or join 'em.

Here's the deal. The studies (real studies) indicate that no matter what the task we are participating in, our minds are SOMEWHERE else 47% of the time! I knew that was true for me. Actually, in my case, 47% is a little low. But I thought I was unique. I thought I was special. I truly believed that none of you understood when I blogged about living in the the wreckage of the future.

But, evidently,  you are just as bad as me and the Science is backing that notion up. So.......47% is not far from 50%. And 50% is half. HALF! HALF! We are spending HALF of our LIFETIMES participating in activities and our MINDS are some place else! I'm still trying to process this idea and I am staggered by its implications.

Today was my 22nd CONSECUTIVE day to meditate. And it was HARD! And it's getting harder! The first 10 days were only ten (ha!) minutes. The second 10 days were 15 minutes. Now, I'm into the 20 minute sessions and my head is spinning! The silent pauses between the Guide's "directions" are getting longer and just as I am thinking that I've lost Internet connection, he pops back in! But by that time, I've forgotten all about the breath and.....oh, just forget it.

I feel like such a failure at this mindful thing and I wouldn't trade it for anything! The early results are amazing. I am actually sensing a difference in my life by simply trying to be present for just a few minutes a day. However, my wife is tickled to death! Last week, I spoke of actually paying someone to help me meditate. It's probably the last time I will pay for it. T will gladly renew by subscription when the time comes around.

In the end, my self-appraisal of whether or not I'm getting any better is pointless. The Person  that I live with is my TRUE mirror. I think I'll go with her appraisal on this one.


No comments :