Friday, July 19, 2013

One Step Forward. Two Steps Back!

With this, the 26th Post to Cheaper Than Therapy, I am getting back to where this thing all began. This post will look more like a "dear diary" or "journal entry" as it is highly likely that I will be the only one to see it.

Facebook has been my primary source of readership. With my recent "Two Steps Back," I deactivated my Facebook account and now folks will only read my little experiment by accident.

Why the two steps back? I DON'T KNOW! Actually, I do. But I can't force myself to be that transparent. Actually, I can. But, it would be at the expense of others and I'm not willing to inflict that damage and deal with the likely consequences.

Simply put, I am not past the "Season of Resentment" I spoke of a few weeks ago. I am letting others rob me of my serenity and the number one manifestation of that is gross INTOLERANCE.

When I say intolerance---you have NO idea what I mean. Any normal person would be crushed under the pressure I put on myself to show complete disdain for everything and everyone around me.

I don't want to see your recipes, pictures of your puppy, or hear the details of your vacation. I am "Trayvonned" out! I don't care if you sleep with an arsenal of guns in the bed with you or if you are a tree-hugging liberal who wants to save the Snail Darter! I don't CARE! And I can't do YOU right now.

On the flip side---you should be delighted with every joke, every link, and every comment I make. Anyone see the problem here?

I was sitting in a group discussion Monday night where everyone was discussing how humble they were. Did you catch that? Everyone was describing the level of humility they had attained in their life. When it came my turn, I said, "We do NOT have enough time for me to TEACH you people how to REALLY be humble." Two steps back.

I've heard dozens of definitions of humility. I think the "cutest" one is----Humility is not thinking less of yourself----but thinking of yourself LESS. Ha! That's a good one. If that's true, then I have NEVER met a humble person in my life!

The only definition of humility that I have ever been able to reconcile in my twisted brain is that humility is simply being "teachable."

Two steps back? I am currently not teachable! Plain and simple. I don't want to hear it and I especially don't want to hear it from YOU. Unfortunately, "YOU" encompasses everything and everybody in my life.

Two steps back? Oh yes! Pride. Pride. Pride. The one defect that makes everyone sick except the one who has it.

2 comments :

The New/Old Me said...

Humility is not thinking less of yourself----but thinking of yourself LESS-is a quote from CS Lewis. Lewis is who I often think of when I think I am being humble, because he also said that as soon as you pat yourself on the back for being such a humble person, you have lost your humility. Gets me everytime!

Anonymous said...

I get it!