Monday, March 4, 2013

There's a Difference?

I belong to a faith tradition which has historically discouraged the recitation of rote prayers. Oh, there's nothing wrong with the "model prayer", often referred to as the Lord's Prayer. But for the most part, I was lead to believe that I should pray from my heart and not just recite some memorized prayer.

The Serenity Prayer is probably in the Top 5 of "recited" prayers on the planet. Or not! I have no idea how many different prayers the Catholics recite on a daily basis and there's about a billion of them. But, in my limited experience, I know the Serenity Prayer gets a lot of play.

I've actually recited it a few thousand times myself. Apparently, I have no idea what it means and no inclination to let God do what I ask Him to do in this prayer.

Forget a discussion of serenity! I know as much about serenity as I do about quantum physics. Oh, I give lip service to the "things I cannot change" and the "courage to change the things I can." But, in the last week or so my prayer and meditation has involved the "wisdom to know the difference." Thus, the title of this post---"there's a difference?" I had NO idea.

The "wisdom to know the difference" is the key in this prayer. In fact, there is no prayer here without the wisdom to know the difference being on the table.

God is forcing me to learn the difference. He has put people into my life, that today March 4, are doing some of the most STUPID, most SELF-CENTERED, most DESTRUCTIVE things I can imagine. And God is absolutely insisting that I not "rob" them of the valuable lessons they are about to learn.

God grant me the serenity to
Accept the persons I cannot change,
The courage to change the person I can,
And the wisdom to know
That person is ME!

No comments :